For more information please contact:
Kids with Cancer Society
Providing school & home-based support for all students with learning difficulties
Challenges During and After Cancer Treatment
- Some types of cancer and cancer treatments can lead to learning disabilities.
- Students may experience different effects and challenges with learning.
- Difficulties may include: inattention, slowed information processing speed, and trouble with organization, reading math skills, and coping with stress.
- The Kids with Cancer Society recognizes that education is part of the foundation for a healthy future.
- Students with learning disabilities benefit from access to additional resources and supports.
- Close communication between families, hospital and school staff is essential for students with learning disabilities.
How We Can Help
- School Liaising
– Bridging communication between school and medical staff
– Recommendations to build on your student’s strengths
- Counselling Services
– Supports with coping strategies
– Supports with behaviours and social skill building
– Psycho-education and assistive technology supports
- Assistive Technology Funding
- Summer Skills Building Program
- Parent Workshops
- To provide clinical and practical support for kids and families as they navigate cancer treatment or cope with cognitive late effects.
- By increasing supports for students regarding changes in academic performance.
- Educating students and families about programs and assistive technologies that are available.
- Facilitating communication between hospitals, schools and parents.
- Providing access to experts who can help develop individualized coping supports for students.